So, having watched some videos online, for instance on the Backpacker Mag site, I'm now wondering... Do I need all this stuff or is it overkill?

I've seen a video in which waist strap pack buckles were replaced. (I wasn't planning to pack any.)

I've also heard of tents, packs, rain gear, etc. ripping. I saw someone mention Tenacious Tape. Looks good. (Also, the poster mentioned still carrying duct tape in addition and I'm curious as to the need for both.)

Then there are repair kits for the thermarest.

And I think, but can't swear to this, that sometimes I've heard that people carry an extra tent pole in case one breaks. I don't know if the tent my fellow campers are packing comes with those aluminum tubes you can put over a broken tent pole. Something I need to find out.

I have on my packing list 50 feet of cord, but I know others are bringing cord to hang the bear bag. So... should I bring some, too? It's obviously really light weight, but I don't know if it's necessary (maybe it has so many uses it's worth bringing, maybe not?) and I don't want to get into the habit of throwing all kinds of extra stuff in my pack just because "it hardly weighs anything..." (because eventually, even a ton of things that hardly weigh anything are going to add up, right?!).

So, what do you never leave home without? Stuff like replacement buckles, for instance?

And how much redundancy do you aim for with your fellow hikers? To what degree do you concern yourself with "well, if mike's pack went down the river..." type scenarios? I don't feel I have a lot of wiggle room with my weight in terms of my comfort at this point such that I cam afford to be totally self-reliant, but I don't want to be stupid, either. I know it's common to split the weight of a tent, etc. What's the feeling on this gear sharing in terms of risk versus reward? What things would you feel comfortable having as shared gear and which things do you want to be carrying, even if all your buddies are already carrying them, too? (I don't mean personal gear, such as clothing, toiletries, etc., I mean more like group FAK, tent, cook stove, bear bag etc.)

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

MTA: Also, a radio?

Edited by kievalina (06/26/12 02:12 PM)