Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
We mountaineering types LIKE high altitude routes. The entire PURPOSE of my trip is to stay high and run the Continental Divide. I have days that I am above timber the entire time. Sorry, I am not going to hunker down in the timber. In alpine terrain, as in lower terrain, there are microclimates that are more protected than other places, and obviously, you seek these for campsites.

Daisy, I faced the same dilemma as you up here. My tent of choice for what you describe is pretty simple, weighs just about 1 kilo, it's a Black Diamond one Shot:

Freestanding, good poles, takes a snow load and a wind beating when staked out fully.

Unfortunately - they are no longer made - they do make the firstlight, which is a small two man, but unfortunately weighs a full pound more than this one does. You may be
able to find one on Ebay - you'll note in the "for sale" section I am looking for anyone who has one (people who have decided it's too heavy for an ultralight tent, and don't do stuff all exposed may not want this tent)

I also have a skylight - for two person camping with the better half.

Black diamond seems to have a good balance between light and tough on their lighter models.

I also have a SMD lunar solo - great (and lighter) when I know I will have trees or something to cut the wind a bit. but If I know I'm gonna be doing stuff like what's in those pics, I take the black diamond. I'm amazed at how comfotable
I am in it on a half length prolite plus in raging rockies thunderstorm.

My plans this summer are for a GDT section hike from Jasper to the boundary of banff park through white goat, I'll be taking the black diamond for that - lots of up high exposed camping - followed by a limestone lakes trip, which even though up high will be a hammock trip (there's an epicly wonderful site) and then a trip up over glacier to a basin north of invermere - the Black Diamond will go on that too..

Browse my pictures