That is funny--my dad had a thoroughly tame bull that a kid could ride--the only trouble was he had no sense of self. Dad was scratching between his horns one day and the the bull got to sort of nuzzling him and ended up pushing dad backwards into the side of his new pu truck. He pushed hard enough to leave a large impression of Dad's backside in the quarter panel just behind the cab. He never did tell Mom.

-- More on topic--
I was running a loop trail at Cane lake State Park a couple of weeks ago with a friend and we ran up on a sm/medium black bear - we were talking as we ran and the bear saw us about as quick as we saw him. He sorta looked us over (we stopped) and then moseyed on about his business pretty nonchalantly. I doubt that we got closer than about 30 yds of him. We had seen scat a mile or so back up the trail so were sorta looking for one. It was the first one I've ever seen while trailrunning. I was a bit surprised that the 1st was in South Arkansas!

My buddy just had to drag out the old joke that "he wasn't worried cause he only needed to out run me" (he can-easily). Running or fastpacking a firearm big enough to make a difference with even a small blackbear would be a ridiculous encumbrance. IMHO