Achilles tendon/Plantar Faciitis problems (thread drift.)

The Acilles tendon runs like a rubber band under the heel to the foot. There are some things that can cause problems.

If your normal daily wear shoes have higher heels than your hiking shoes, the tendon can shorten. Then it's stretched while hiking which causes problems.

The other problem is impact on the heel caused either by poor technique or insufficient padding. Another thing that can cause problems is too long or too fast a stride when going uphill.

Here I go with the combat boot thing again. There are research reports done on recruits that detail injuries. The main injury is blisters. With the modern boot, these are almost non-existent. The second most common injury is shin splints. These are more common from running in the old style boots which had little energy absorbtion in the heel.

There are virtually zero Achilles tendon problems or knee problems. Plantar Faciitis isn't even mentioned.

My theory is the top of the 8 inch boot somehow takes some of the strain off the Achilles tendon.

In the past 7 months, I've hiked/walked 980 miles testing 5 different types of boots and shoes. I have 311 miles in the combat boots. They are the only footwear that doesn't give even a hint of some problem developing.

Rather than spending a bunch of money on doctors, I think I'd give the combat boots a try. The two brands still available used in testing were the Danner Acadia and the Bates 924. They are expensive, but cheaper than doctors.