Sounds to me that she did many things right to survive. Carrying overnight gear on a 6-mile day hike is a bit over the top for me. A 6-mile day hike is NOT a long hike. She got lost and rather than risk walking in the dark she stayed put until daylight. She did exactly what she should have -keep track of water sources, and once injured, stayed put regularly exercise to stay warm, keep her head, do not panic. The one mistake that I see is that she should have notified someone that she was going out. That is THE LESSON. Other than that, I do not see a lot of poor decisions. I wonder if she were a "he" so many cruel comments about her would have been said. Some of the comments made assumptions: woman=inexperienced, woman=should not be alone in a remote area, and oh, lets be particulary critical because she was ahh!! a Mormon woman, and an older one at that. Many of us on this forum go into remote areas alone, and without SPOT. The big delay in her rescue was that nobody knew she was gone. If you tell someone where you are going on a day-hike you do not need SPOT. If she were on a 12-day backpack, maybe the SPOT issue would be something to consider.