There are two varieties of Labs, the English and the American. The English Lab has a much mellower disposition and is more easily trainable. The American Lab is exemplified by "Marley and Me." Both are good hunters, but the American strain can be more difficult to train. That may have a lot to do with the English custom of keeping sporting dogs in the house while most American hunting dogs are kept in kennels. If you're looking for a Lab, look for the English variety! Of course if you get a rescue dog, you take potluck, and you're far more likely to be getting the American version.

A series of good obedience classes can work wonders, though! The woman who runs the obedience school Hysson and I attended works with pit bull rescues. It's amazing what could be done with them!

The dog isn't going to stop at a road unless you tell him to, regardless of breed. That's only one reason why it's best to keep the dog close to you or on leash, as suggested in my previous posts.

Hysson is 3/4 Lab and 1/4 Golden; his sire (100% Lab) was jet black! Half the litter was black and half was gold. Hysson actually looks more like a Golden (longer hair and darker color) than his mother, who was half and half.

And Hysson is not perfect! I was at my son#3's place over the weekend. They were having some landscaping done yesterday and removed a fence panel to get in and out. Hysson took one look and was out that opening like a shot, despite my best obedience school voice! Also, I've mentioned before that he's a traitor to his genetics--he won't swim (although he likes to wade) and he won't retrieve!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/01/12 08:33 PM)