Originally Posted By oldranger
How come this is your problem? It would think the person would have a pretty good idea of what items to consume on what will basically be a two day, or less, trip. Most foods are available in freeze dried, or relatively light weight, modes.

One thing to consider is that over many stretches of the trail (I am assuming the Kaibab/Bright Angel wilderness interstate) you will need to carry fairly generous quantities of water. Some of it might as well still be within the vegetable or fruit, especially items consumed in the early stages....

Responding to this will also answer similar questions that people raised -- which in many circumstances would be spot on. However,

Most everyone on this trip are backpacking newbies. They don't know resources or what to get. So I have taken responsibility for a group food buy. The same applies to the individual that has been a long time vegetarian. They have no idea what to get or what is available. That is why I was asking for someone who has perhaps tried what is available out there in the dried/freeze-dried market as to what is particularly good or what should be avoided.

This is very much a group function where we are sharing gear and cooking together. One strategy for lightweight is to share gear and we are doing that. Also, in GC, the permit-holder is responsible for everyone's actions. Although I'm not a control freak, I do want to make sure that people don't do stupid things or get themselves into trouble. So, with the general level of experience, I have found this approach the best.

Keep the responses coming . . .