Throughout this discussion, we have not defined "good" gear. 40 years ago it was pretty simple because there was not a lot of choice. Now you can get overwhemed by the choices. And list price is meaningless-two people, same item, each paid a different amount. If our goal is light gear then we ought to say that. If our goal is durable gear, then say that. "Good" is too subjective. If our goal is "functional" then say that. And then there is fit. No matter how great the gear is supposed to be, if it does not fit you, then it really is no good.

I bet everyone here has a mix of quality. I started out with expensive high quailty boots, cheap backpack, army surplus clothing, good sleeping bag, and just shared a tent for years before I was able to buy my own. Now I have cheap shoes (they fit better but I have to replace them often), high end sleeping bag (only replaced because old one was stolen), moderate priced tent that I replace every 3-4 years, moderated priced backpack that gets replaced every 3-4 years, high end cook set (never replaced), high end bear cannister, moderate sleeping pad (adeqauate is fine with me), high end down clothing, cheap hiking clothing and fleece, high end socks, hand-me-down trekking poles. I acually use a lot of my husband's rejects (he is a gear-a-holic). My weekend pack of High Sierra is about 22 pounds total, with about 4 pounds of clothing I wear. Light but not ultralight. I am fine with this right now.

A few reasons for NOT buying high end, last-a-lifetime stuff- inevitably better stuff comes along, often the same high end stuff is half the price if you just wait a few years, and unforntunately some stuff does get stollen or lost. And not for me yet, but for many, our own bodies change sizes!