I have taken Gun safty. I have a concelled carry firarm permit. I still debate need to carry for bears? Someone said sleeping with a loaded gun is dangerous? Well a unloaded gun is a Rock and no better! I sleep with a loaded gun every night. Gun training and practice weekly is the correct answer! This is if you choose to carry? Otherwise leave it at home. I still contest bear spray would be most effective. When the good lord says it is time its Time. My wife and children can all shoot and know where they are. But if you have nill for training and do not practice. No one should carry! Without proper permit it is ten years in the slammer. For bears I say spray. Maybe even in a state park and stumble upon drug growers? This is a growing problem as well ,and most likley more dangerous situation! Check laws state to state. They all vary! http://www.handgunlaw.us/ Knowing the law where you are is the gun owners responsibility! Seriously, if you are not confident and practiced with carrying a loaded gun, Take a Rock or bear spray instead. Remember every bullet has ten lawyers attached to it! Take a saftey class or two and consider. It is a Constitutional right that is currently challenged bye careless mistakes .