Originally Posted By billstephenson
It's a wondrous thing to move through our forest here, off the trail, in the heart of it. It's a very seductive experience and it makes it incredibly hard to resist being quiet and stealthy, but that's stupid.

hmmmm... I grew up hunting in the woods and my father is a pretty serious bird watcher. So, (maybe out of habit) I naturally am quiet and stealthy in the woods. I figure I am there to see nature and don't take steps to prevent that. Maybe its stupid but I am not afraid of bears or mountain lions. I would much rather see these animals than scare them away for minute increases in safety. I keep my wits about myself and don't put myself into dangerous situations. I don't pull Steve Irwin's when I'm out in the woods but I definitely try to see the animals I am sharing the woods with (even if they could become dangerous under certain circumstances). Would you consider that foolhardy?

You should certainly take the appropriate actions for the environment you are in (and I do). But, I see bells, whistles, and loud talking as techniques to slightly reduce the chance of a bad interaction with these animals but mostly to help allay fears that people have. Some people get freaked out by seeing a bear... I don't. I get excited to see such a magnificent creature in the wild.