Originally Posted By Hikin Jim
Originally Posted By TomD
I've seen some poorly made stuff come out of China and a stove that might leak or worse is not a risk I would be willing to take...
My feelings exactly.

And why would you when there are plenty of good stoves from reputable brands that are available at reasonable prices -- if you're willing to do a bit of leg work. You can go the used route and get something that's only been used a few times often at a substantial discount over new OR you can go with a lesser known but still good brand (e.g. Kovea).

HJ

Jim makes an excellent point-do your homework and don't be enticed to buy something just because it is cheap.

One way to check out a stove is to see if it is sold by one of the major outdoor retailers, like REI or Backcountrygear.com. If a major retailer carries a stove, you can be pretty sure it is well made and safe. REI for one, takes back anything defective and consumer protection laws encourage retailers to only carry gear that will be safe to use.

Not everything made in China is suspect, of course. I'm sure we all have plenty of Chinese made goods at home-everything from inexpensive clothes to running shoes, to electronics like the iPhone to tents and other outdoor gear that are just fine, but brand names offer something that knock-offs do not-accountability for poor quality.

Edited by TomD (03/16/12 03:17 PM)