Jim, that list is for a 3-day trip in summer. Generally for no more than a 3-day trip in the Cascades in mid-summer, you have a relatively reliable weather forecast. I agree, though, that even for three days it's a little risky considering that our forecasts out here have been known to change rapidly. Except for food, fuel, water and a few toiletries, I pack the same whether going out overnight or for 10 days.

If you look at the Seven-Day List, you'll find more warm stuff, including top and bottom base layer and a warmer sleeping bag. Obviously, you can't rely on weather forecasts that far out, and the gear list reflects this fact!

When I lightened my pack, I used Packlite's 7-day list. It has worked just fine for me clothing-wise, and I get cold very easily. In fact, even for temps in the low 20's, I've used just the Primaloft jacket with no vest (plus base layer, windshirt and rain gear) and been plenty warm enough. If it's going to be colder than that (such as spring and fall) I take a 100-weight fleece vest in addition. That's to wear under wind shirt or rain jacket while actively moving. When I stop to admire the view (aka rest grin), the insulating jacket comes out to add to the ensemble while I'm sitting still.

I have recently switched to a down jacket because it's definitely both warmer and lighter than the Primaloft. However, I am still a bit leery about using down insulation for both sleeping bag and insulating clothing, and definitely don't recommend this to beginners!

I have similar fleece gloves (same weight as in the 7-day list) which are a lot thicker than liners. However, they are too thick for camp chores such as lighting the stove. I therefore use Smartwool liner gloves (don't melt when handling a hot pot) for camp chores. They may be less warm than thicker gloves, but gloves you have to take off for most chores are less warm yet! Unless the temps are way below freezing, the Smartwool liners are adequate with lightweight rain shells (hard to find these days). I take a pair of fleece mittens in addition for shoulder season trips.

The only item on the 7-day list that is no longer available are the Mountainsmith pack. However, its weight is a good one to aim for for those carrying total pack weight of 27 lbs. or less. I ignored the Mt. Washington pad (the equivalent would be a cut-down Z-Rest or Gossamer Gear's Nightlite) because there is absolutely no way I could be comfortable on it! I offset my heavier insulated air pad with a lighter tent and lighter pack.

I have since gotten my own gear list several pounds lighter, without sacrificing any comfort or safety. However, IMHO the 7-day list is an excellent one to aim for, which is why I consistently recommend it. I may qualify my reference to the home page articles from now on to stating that the 3-day list is only when the forecast is for good weather!