A friend of mine is trying to get his pack weight down from 75 pounds and I thought I would print out the 18 pound 3 day pack list from the forum, since it says that it is for 3 seasons in the Cacades. The list was last updated a long time ago and some of the items are no lnger available.

HOWEVER - said sternly - as a cacades resident I have to say that this IS NOT adequate gear for 3 seasons in the cascades - this is only a summer nice weather list.

The clothing would be alright if you put something warm on over it. The temps at altitude can be freezing most any night of the year. For three season I'd add down pants and down jacket - a warm one with a hood.

For summer I'd add fleece pants and a fleece jacket, a warm hat and gloves. The gloves mentioned on the list are UL liner gloves - worthless when wet and too thin for 32 degree weather, but maybe ok for summer with rain gloves to put over them.

with bivy sack, foam pad and caribou bag you would be hard put to be warm at 40 degrees in a wind, and the rainy weather here sort of precludes bivy sacks - tarps are the minimum. You just don't sleep "under the stars" in the cascades

I personally do not carry many of the items listed under "essential" or "navigation", I instead err on the side of warm dry clothing and rain and bug protection. I might add a 7 ounce "mosquito net" so I can enjoy myself in a swarm of mosquitoes or yellow jackets on a summer day.

Soap box off
Jim