Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I do not think giving beginners information or advise on how to select gear is condensending. It will probably save them a bundle of money and may make the difference of them continuing to backpack or quitting.

I used to think this way, until I started getting feedback that that was condescending.

People like to think they know what they need to do and frequently need to find out what they don't know on their own. The rest of us, the ones who understand we don't know enough, we read, and search, and research, and take classes, and do that legwork on our own, because we know we need to.

Getting into this on my own without forums or anyone showing me what I wasn't doing right was my path - I started my researching when things weren't working correctly. I'm glad I went that way because now when people ask me questions, I can tell them I already tried the things they are thinking of doing, and give them the results I got.

http://hikeandbackpack.com