I have to admit that I have not seen the new show. I have recently seen a few episodes of that Bear Grylls dude. THAT show is geared for entertainment.

Quote:
No he doesn't. If he knew his stuff he would avoid most of the idiotic situations he places himself in.

He intentionally places himself in those positions for entertainment. Its kind of hilarious actually; I think he gets paid bonuses for each outlandish thing he does. Take the man made flash flood. They stuff him in a tent in a wash with a camera, zip it up, and then unload something like 75 thousand gallons of water on him and watch what happens. He didn't have to be in the tent to show what happens during a flash flood, but it made for "good" TV. My other fave is him walking across a glacier in ski boots. Talk about slippery. It's entertainment pure and simple.

He does give out some useful information, but he also gives out some bogus info too. Take the dropped into Baja episode. He's looking for water (and I'm pretty sure I've been where they dropped him) and says something to the effect that the reason he can't find enough is because he is at 5000 ft elevation. In one part he was right, that he needed to look further down stream. But he could not have been more wrong about the elevation. The elevation in those areas actually gives him a better chance of finding water down stream. I really think it is to make a fast paced TV product.