Jim and I are of opposite opinions on compression sacks. We are also probably opposite ends of the size spectrum (although I have never personally met Jim!). Jim is tall enough that large men's sizes fit him. The pack size that I am supposed to use, based on my height, is woman's small to extra-small. NO WAY can I find a womans x-small pack that allowes me to pack stuff losely inside, particularly when I also backpack where bear cannisters are required. I have been forced to utilize compression sacks, and it has nothing to do with lookiing "cool". I agree that compression sacks are a bit hard on down sleeping bags, I do not cinch them up to the maximum- just enough to fit.

To assist in strapping stuff to the outside of your pack, you may want to sew a few little loops on the stuff sack so the pack straps stay in place. If you strap on the side, be sure to carefully balance the other side with equal weight. Side strapping is the most secure. If you strap on the bottom be sure it does not bounce around and hit your butt every step you take. If you strap on top, be sure it is snug forward- not dangling off the back. If you do any bushwhaking or walking in tall wet grass, anything on the outside of your pack will get beat up and wet. I really do not like to strap gear to the outside of my pack. I strapped a Thermarest to the outside of my pack once, and ended up sleeping on a flat piece of nylon.