I think for the sake of understanding what we're talking about:
The stove being discussed, though it is a compressed gas stove, has a liquid feed to the fuel heating coil inside the burner area to vaporise the fuel. The fuel does not "gassify" inside the bottle and then leave, which is way inefficient. For this reason and the propane present, which vaporises at -40 degrees, the vapor pressure of the propane does the pushing, thus putting the fuel bottle into the snow will "warm" it and protect it from cold winds. One potential problem if you lay the bottle horizontal on the snow is that the liquid fuel pick up, which has to lie on the bottom of the tank, may stick up out of the liquid fuel. Pushing the fuel bottle vertically into the snow keeps the stove in place, keeps the fuel warm, and keeps liquid fuel coming to the burner. It is very rare to turn it all the way up.

I like the two burner model for winter camping especially with two people. This is the stove TomD and I used mostly in Yosemite. One burner can be full on melting snow, while the other can be frying eggs turned on low, OR, you can have hot pasta with hot pasta sauce at the same time. laugh

My opinion - it was too radical of a concept when it was new. It was too innovative and people didn't trust it, because it was Coleman which is known for not being a high end camping gear supplier, so a lot of campers wouldn't buy a coleman campstove. Its like my spectra backpack, REI goretex down bibs, and many other really excellent OLD pieces of discontinued gear that WAS AVAILABLE but the masses didn't buy it so it was discontinued.

OR

It ws too good and they saw that sooner or later everyone would realise how perfect it was and then they would stop buying new models with prettier colors. It had to be repressed. And this is the reason why so much of the new gear is absolutely no different or better than most of the old gear, its because the averge buyer doesn't care about low temperature performance of a compressed gas stove.
Jim