Originally Posted By balzaccom
And do remember that if you really are counting on the firearm to save you from the bear, it needs to be almost instantly accessible at all time.

No good carrying on or in the pack when you surprise the bear on the trail...

Absolutly true, It also needs to be cocked Locked and ready to Rock. As does the shooter. A unloaded firearm in a emergency situation is the equivalent of a Rock with a real nice grip!
If not properly trained and experienced you should not carry a loaded gun. 99 chances out of ten you will not be effective with it if you have not practiced extensivly! I shoot allot Rifles, Shotguns, IE skeet and Trap and handguns. One thing is for sure you pull a gun out better be prepared to use it. This is detramental to your own ,and bystanders saftey!
No such thing as being to safe.
I have counter assault bear spray myself. That is what I carry backpacking for the most part. The stuff is nasty! I am confident it will turn a bear, or a national park drug grower around!
I also carry a loaded firearm most of the time I am not hiking. Thats just how I roll. I have never had to use either and hope I never will! Guns that woul be effective on a bear are allot heavier than bear spray!