As you have figured out, small is a really relative term. So are "light" and "heavy."

I note that the packed size of the tent according to REI is 7.5 x 22" and the packed size of the sleeping bag is hard to guess at but looking at the Kelty Cosmic 20 degree, I see that it is a 8 x 13" packed size.

This is part of why you will see in some of the threads the advice to get the pack last... depending on your perspective the gear is too large or the pack is too small, so either you replace one, or the other... Internal frame packs are typically going to be easier to wear with all the gear inside, putting lots of items on the front and sides of the pack puts weight further from your back, which means you don't have it sitting on the hip belt where it belongs. You could try strapping the tent under the lid or down the sides - fly on one side, tent on the other would help balance it out.

It is possible, FYI, to have smaller and lighter gear than you can find at REI. Tents like those available from Lightheart Gear, Tarptent, Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs, and other cottage gear makers can work very well for backpackers without the weight and bulk. You do have choices when you eventually upgrade. One of my lighter combos is a Tarptent (24 oz) and a down quilt (20-25 degree, 22 oz). I started with a Kelty tent that weighed as much as your Passage, and a bag that was about the same weight and bulk as the Kelty Cosmic - only I'm sure the Kelty bag is warmer than the bag I had!

If you can't get all your gear in the pack you have, you might (if you got it at REI like the tent) possibly exchange it for a pack that works with your gear.

http://hikeandbackpack.com