As the title indicates, this is a gear guide. It also includes anecdotes from the author, an accomplished hiker. The focus is on light. He distinguishes between hiker and camper and makes the point that one doesn't have to be one or the other. However the distinction is useful to understand why he recommends what he recommends.

Some of his suggestions are extreme (urinating while walking, p.19), some I simply don’t care for (don’t bring extra clothes, p.33). But just because I don’t care for some extreme measures doesn’t mean I can’t learn from them. He also provides other less extreme suggestions, along with tables comparing the pros and cons of various options. I especially liked his sample gear kits at the end of the book. Gear list with weights for different types of hikes.

I like to think one can always learn something, no matter the source, but I’m not sure that anyone who has been on this board for a few years will learn much. Nothing struck me as earth-shattering. I would certainly suggest this book to beginner hikers, which I am happily consider myself to always be.