Does anyone here backpack with a rifle? I'm one to push bush more than just stick to a trail so I often find myself isolated in bear country. I used to just pack around my 17HMR until last year when I was stumbling around and found myself all up in a bears business who then got all up in my business. Plus I generally ride solo on my trips and I find a level of comfort in keeping protection with me.

Now, that being said, if I lived in the states I would not even be asking this question because I would simply pack a revolver. Living in Canada kinda shoots that plan in the butt. Getting a permit to pack a side arm for 'backpacking' is pretty much unheard of and I like to play on the side of the law. Is anyone else in my similiar situation? What type of rifle would be suitable? As well all know, the weight factor is always an issue and I'm not aware of many light weight rifles. The only thing I can think of right now is picking up a shot gun and load it up with a folding stock to try to cut down on the pounds.

Anyone have any ideas?