I'm all for visiting places off-trail. While I haven't hiked extensively off-trails, I have done it and always had fun doing it. Even though I know it's a false feeling, it's fun thinking I'm exploring some place that few people really see. I generally measure my hikes in distance instead of time (aprox. 15 miles being what I can do comfortably), but the longest I went between camps was 14 hours, though was mostly because of weather and other circumstances made it very slow going.

I will admit I'm not in as good a shape as I was in school. Since I've started hiking by myself, I've cut my gear a lot and find I'm able to go much further now by myself then with a partner that isn't having quite as much fun as me. Like I said, the Appalachian environment is really what the majority of my experience is, and while I love it, I do want to see the wide open views that simply can't be had over here. It's why Half Dome is at the top of my list.

Solitude kinda goes both ways for me. I will be going by myself, but it's mostly because the two friends I would go with, can't go. That's really something that only matters to me when it comes time to bed down. I know the most scenic places will be well traveled and generally have no issue with that, but I really don't want to have to sleep in a crowded place if I can help it.