Fifteen years ago I was in the top climbing and ski mountaineering condition of my life. A friend invited me TO an orienteering meet and told me that I would not need spiked shoes - NEVER MIND THAT I RACED IN THE YELLOW CLASS. mad So anyway I ran down a hill in a redwood grove, tripped, turned 2 cartwheels (still trying to stay on my feet) then my foot jambed under a redwood tree and my leg wrapped around it, in the direction that legs normally do not bend.

Fortunately it was in a state park and a ranger could drive to within 100 feet of me. Several people helped me into the rangers truck. The TOTALLY INCOMPITENT doctors at the meet said it was a sprain and signed a release for the ranger. At 10 pm I went into SHOCK at home.

I was in an Elazarov device - like you see on peoples necks and head - rings, screws, bolts etc, FOR 12 WEEKS. I could bend my knee that had 3 screws and 8 piano wires through it putting about 2 tons of internal force holding the bones together without a cast.

My knee is much better and 15 years later I finally can run 100 feet. smile I can walk and climb now, so I'm gonna go climb the Cascades peaks 25 miles west of me this summer - South Sister here I come.

I'm really much more of a rock climber than an alpine climber and I live 30 miles from Smith Rock - maybe second to Yosemite as north American climbing spot. I do own all the alpine gear including marmot suits that fit me again... smile I always said that when I got back into shape to use the gear, it would fit. I also hope to finally make the pilgrimage to Smith this summer and get back into rock climbing. I own all of the gear, so now I mostly solo without the rest of the gear.

Oh yes NEVER STEP ON A LOG OR LIMB LAYING AT AN ANGLE ON A HILLSIDE - IT COULD BE SLIPPERY - YOU COULD BREAK A LEG. STEP OVER INSTEAD. IF YOU DO STEP ON THAT LOG, USE THE FRONT PART OF YOUR BOOT, NOT THE MIDDLE. OH AND NEVER RUN IN THE WOODS.
Jim