Quote:
So, what is your training schedule?

I get really fidgety if I don't have something to focus on physically. To stay on focus, I have to set goals. I come from a background where I typically swam over 10 miles a day from age 11 to almost 17. I was fast enough to be swimming against 18+ men at 13. I was burnt by 17, but there was always something else to push myself with including running, orienteering, and my version of fast off-trail travel. Since I am 55 now, and I was slackin' prior to this, it has taken me about 3 years to build up to the current workout. That includes going through pushing too hard and having knee and foot issues. So finally, finallyME, this is what I and doing currently.

Monday through Friday

After I get everybody up and fed, I have 2.5 hours to get it all done...

8+ miles with a min gain of 2300 ft carrying a min of 25 pounds in a cheap Jansport pack (mainly water). This takes me under 1hr 45 min. I don't jog the downhill, but on the flats and minor uphills to keep my heart rate up. My current weight variation is between 25 to 35 pounds each time I go.

With my wife on Sat and Sunday (and holidays);

These are my rest days so to speak. We cover 6+ to 8+ miles (I still carry the weight) but it takes us between 1hr45 min to 2 hr for the 6 miler.

I also do core exercises and stretching in the evening.

Every couple of months I'll put on the 35 pounds and do 10 days in a row of 10 milers. Last time I could keep it to 4 mph (over 10 miles in under 2.5 hours)