The shirt is not denim- but the standard lightweight 60/40 (cotton/dacron) workshirt that all we hippies wore in the late 60's. You were supposed to then embroidry them with flowers, but I was always too busy climbing to get the flowers done (I do know how to emoroidry).

Phat, thanks for comment on the sleeping bag. There is a story behind that bag. Dupont had contracted with NOLS to test their new Dacron for use in sleeping bags. They were 0-degree bags designed and sewn by NOLS using Dupont's new fill material. They were very bulky then but not really that heavy. I believe about 4 pounds. My bag that I used, was may personal Frostline Kit 3-pound down bag (I am carrying it on the bottom of my pack). Over the years Dupont improved the fill so that it was less bulky. Another reason for the bulky bag was Paul Petzold. He was abouy 6 feet 4 inches weighing nearly nearly 300 pounds and his pet peeve was clothing and bags that were too small - so he overkilled and made EVERY NOLS created product HUGE. You could get two of me in that bag! I pretty much used my own personal gear because few NOLS items ever fit me. NOLS also had a contract with Woolrich. They made wool shirts for us with Neru collars that had not a bit of cotton on them. The inside of the collar was also wool. I really liked those shirts and have never seen them sold to the general public.

I agree that base weight was not that high, but I always climbed and never went out without a rope (11-mm perlon, ugh!) piton hammer, pitons. Talk about weight reduction- climbing gear has really evolved into lighter gear.

Our cook gear was group gear. Each of us only carried a cup and spoon. Each 4-person cook group carried 2 #10 tin cans to cook in and one Teflon frying pan with a lid. When I started we only used fires. Then shortly we were using stoves - the old 11R (I think that is right- the bigger version of the Optimus 8-R- that stove in the blue case).

I broke the Kelty packframe in 1973 and Kelty gave me a new one, no questions asked, that I still use today! The old pack bag is long gone, worn out. The old Kelty set up was about 6 pounds. Not light, but not too bad.

Not sure if my feet show, but those old Lional Terray boots weiged 5 pounds! Footgear is another item that is so much lighter now.

Petzoldt had a story that taught us not to get too hung up on gear. Equipment does not make the climber. He used to be a caddy and he would make lots of money betting golfers that he could beat them - allowing them to use all their clubs and he only used one - cannot remember exactly which club he used, something like a 7-iron, but he generally won.

Do not get me wrong- I love all my new light gear, but if I never had another penny to spend, I would just dig back into my old gear when my new stuff wore out and continue backpacking.