I dunno about that Heather. Chenelle and I have been married for 23 years this year, and us as well, since we were 20. I'm not sure yet that she'll be very thrilled at me taking off for 5 months backpacking, although I've been away for 2 and 3 weeks at
a time semi-frequently.

Part of it as well is work, household duties, and supporting each other in that. For me at least, we not both have careers and adult children (18 and 20) still at home - however with both of them attending university there are some pretty big financial commitments, and just having someone at home in the evening to share the cooking and cleaning and stuff still matters a lot. I think once my kids actually leave the nest, I may be ready to think about such things. I do have a running threat about my daughter getting married if she ever does, that I want nothing to do with dress shopping and drama.. "she's not my daughter till her hair is done". so the running joke is I'll go thru hike something while they go dress shopping and other sillyness. Somehow I don't think I'll get away with it. smile

But this (and money, jobs, etc) is what keeps me from taking much longer trips. Not such a bad thing necessarily. I do miss her when I'm away wink

Browse my pictures