Originally Posted By billstephenson
Originally Posted By aimless
The chlorine in tablet form for hikers is chlorine dioxide and does not form the sort of organic contaminants you are referring to. It is the chlorine in household bleach you have to be careful about.

Thank you, that's good to know. But there must still be something left behind, what is it, and do we want to filter it out?

Nothing left behind from the cl02 is going to be big enough to filter. it would be like trying to filter salt from water.

whatever dead or disabled bugs are left in it ain't going to hurt you. after that it's a matter of personal taste, and depends on the water.

For example, some people don't like water with a lot of "glacial silt" in it. and if there is a lot of it it can irritate the bowels. For that you might want a filter, (but warning, I've seen glacial silt clog up more filters..) Some people don't like brown looking water with tannins in it. For that you might need to charcoal filter or god knows whatever other mini backcountry water treatment plant. Me, I just drink it.. but I'm not really a princess about my water. (my coffee, or my scotch, or my hammock is a different story wink )

Edited by phat (02/11/12 01:53 PM)
Browse my pictures