Quote:
So, my question is, how do those of you who are married leave your S/O home for multi-week trips? Does it make a difference if you're married vs. engaged vs. dating? Have you ever declined to go on a trip (or put it off indefinitely) because you didn't want to be away from home that long?

Yes, of course! But it is not that simple as it depends on your relationship. And it is much easier on everyone if there are no kids. Once I left on a 2 week surf trip to the tip of Baja when we had two young ones. We talked and talked and everything looked good. I got back from a GREAT trip and as soon as I pulled up I was getting hammered by my better half; turns out she was sick the whole time she is such a worry wort. She must have yelled at me for a good 60 minutes (while I was going over tube rides, great food, and great people I met along the way in my head. Come to think of it, that's probably why she yelled for so long :D). Over the years she has gotten used to being left behind to where she is now very supportive of my adventures. It helps that I have the SPOT and check in at least once a day. I keep her as involved in my treks as much as possible so that she is part of the team. I think this helps the most.

All that said, a 3 week plus trip is out at this point. That is more than she can handle. Its got to be 2 weeks or less. I am not willing to put our relationship under that much stress to do one of the big three (AT, PCT, or CDT) even though I would love to. It's just not going to happen. I have to settle for "lesser" adventures.

So, Barefoot Friar, you may need to use that least used of all male skills, sensitivity, to figure this out. May the force be with you!