Man Im super jealous of your hike! I need to get back to the ALT soon. My $.02 is inline with everyone else's. Lighter "The Basics" gear (pack, bag, etc.) will come in time but heres some inexpensive tips to try:

-Use rocks, sticks(already down on the ground and not cut green), or tie off to trees instead of stakes for your tarp. Save weight and no need to worry about losing or breaking your stakes. Saves 3.9oz

-Unless you need to simmer, get ya an alcohol stove and use denatured alcohol as fuel. This takes some practice but its great if all your doing is heating water for dehydrated meals or coffee. Check out the stoves and other stuff here: Anti-Gravity Gear.com Saves stove weight 6oz

-Go with Chemical H20 treatment instead of filter. Way lighter and wont malfunction or get broken, clogged, etc.Saves 13oz

-Unless you absoulutely gotta have it, leave the plate and cup at home. I use a super light plastic walmart bowl for everything and it works fine. I use my cookpot as a coffee/tea cup. A spork from any fastfood place is lighter than those multi-utensil sets and works as good too. Saves 7oz

-Dont over prepare. FAK's should contain only what you basically need and know how to use. Mine includes bandaids, random OTC drugs, my bandana, and duct tape wrapped around my mini rubbing alcohol bottle(used for all cleaning), and razor blade(instead of knife). Could save 6+ oz

-Leave the extra batteries and flashlight at home. If your using new batteries you should have more battery life than you need. Pay attention to what your doing at all times and you wont lose your headlamp. Saves 4oz

-Ditch the potty trowel and pillow. A good stick or hiking staff will dig a hole just fine. Use your rain coat, extra clothes, or pack for a pillow. Saves 9oz

-Unless you gotta take it, leave the phone in the car. Since you said you use map and compass (good on ya!), you shouldnt need the GPS and you probably wont get cell service on the ALT. For most of my buddies who are new to backpacking this is the hardest thing to give up. I think it helps by severing ties to the "modern world" which is why I go into the woods in the first place. Saves 4.6oz

Total Weight Saved: 3.3lbs (53.5oz)!!

As you can see that stuff adds up quick. I would rather carry 3 extra pounds of food than gear. Now imagine the weight savings with a newer lighter pack and sleeping bag. You could easily save 5+ pounds. I know your knees and back will appreciate it. By cutting back on some luxury items (IMO grin), you can really scale back on the weight. Just something to think about. Good Luck!

Edited by Banjopickin (01/27/12 12:43 PM)