OM- I have done many loop trips in the past and I do not tend to spend much money when I am out, because I either stay at campgrounds or with friends. I rarely need a motel. There are plenty of places one can get a hot shower for minimal costs. So that "rationalization" for spending money on an outfitter is not one I can use.

I have been playing with various trip plans and all require at least two resupplies. If I do the through-hike it will likely be a combination of outfitter resupply and at least one "walk-out" resupply where I will meet friends at a remote trailhead. I do have a few places where the walk-out is only a day.

Two outfitter resupplies would be over my budget and not really justified given that I have plenty of time. If I can coordinate my resupply when an outfitter simply needs to add another horse to an already planned trip, I do not have to pay the wrangler charge, just the additional horse charge. Since I am very flexible with my time, this is a real good possibility.

After getting some firm quotes on prices, I can make a final decision. If for any reason the through-hike does not work out, a month worth of loop trips is not a bad alternative! Either way I will get lots of quality time in the mountains. Sort of like choosing between "best" and "good".