Pretty much the same in Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana area, Bill. I'll typically try to avoid camping right by the creek for a more practical reason: the things that bug me are thicker by the creek. The water, particularly if the stream is sluggish, seems to draw a thicker swarm of gnats and mosquitoes. It also seems to draw a thicker swarm of campers, and for some reason the water motivates them to periodically go "YAAA_HOOOOOOOO!" and "WWWOOOOOOOOOO!" Of course, after dark things quiet down as the alcohol kicks in - then it's just a lot of loud talking and laughing, punctuated by beer cans and bottles being crushed and thrown. (Did I mention that these creekside "campsites" are mostly bare ground, devoid of vegetation, and totally unappetizing to the discriminating camper?)

I usually just stop to filter a couple liters of water and move on up to a more secluded spot on the ridge, and avoid all the nonsense. Better breezes and fewer bugs are a side benefit.

I can hear you all now: "You need to find a new place to hike." Unfortunately, given time constraints and available areas, I don't always have that luxury. So, I do the best I can. (Local authorities do the best they can, too, and are getting more aggressive about using roadblocks and checking permits to hold down the parties. They're badly outnumbered, though.)

Edited by Glenn (01/24/12 01:26 PM)