Originally Posted By wandering_daisy

I rarely use freeze dried packaged meals, because honestly you pay a lot for the little benefit gained. A lot of the packaged meals are loaded with TVP, which I can buy bulk at the grocery store for a lot less and simply add a handfull to each regular meal.

Yeah, I know I can actually make better boil and dump meals than I can buy - but I unfortunately tend to side of I have the money but not the time - so I often end up buying them. At lease I've managed to find ones I like without too much artificial crud in them. I suppose if I practiced more I might get better at making a stock of them in wintertime for hiking season..

Quote:

Another "rip-off" are trail bars. I still prefer old fashioned "gorp". Or I simply make my own cookies and load them up with protein powder.

This is where I spend my time, I just simply can't stand trail bars, I am much happier making my own, which I liked the taste and are loaded with fibre, carbs, and fat. I guess with limited time I'd rather avoid commercial trail bars than commercial meals wink

Quote:

Yes- nuts and more nuts! I love nuts. I also take chunks of real cheese and a bottle of olive oil. If cool enough I take real butter.

I'm partial to almonds ( high fibre too ) and I always love dragging along real cheese - a nice hunk of gruyere or emmentaller on shorter trips and if it's gotta last longer, romano or pamigiano. My cheese it the hardest thing for me to "ration" out.. I always want to eat more of it than I carry with me...
Browse my pictures