Your food weight shuold be between 1 and 2 pounds per day and calories between 2,000-3,000 per day.(provided that you are a normal sized person). As far as calories, it depends on if you are the "lean and hungry" type of carry some extra fat when you start out or do not have a high appatite when hiking. Between these "bookends" you also have to decide if reducing food weight or having luxerious meals is more important. The less weight you want to carry, the more you have to use freeze dried and you have to take very calorie-dense food (no fresh food). I mix freeze-dried and "real" food for variety. Fat percent definitely goes up if you want very calorie-dense food because each pound of fat provides about twice as many calories and protein or carbs.

Be sure you really like the food you take, aim for variety, take a few special treats and pay attention to the nutritional labels- look for calorie dense food.

Personally I aim for 2,500 calories per day, 1.25 pounds per day and 20% protein, 30% fat, 50% carbs. I am small (115 pounds) but "lean and hungry" so always eat ALL my food! I like simple food and am OK with just about anything. Where I backpack we are required to use bear cannisters, so I have to really watch out for food bulk, for example smashable bags of nuts and dried fruit versus trail bars. Forget crackers, they just turn into tiny crumbs when I get everything in the bear cannister!