Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Using a bag for TP and carrying it out is appropriate for trips of a week or so. On longer trips I usually have a campfire at least once, then I burn the accumulated TP. It takes a regular hot fire to burn TP - the "light the match to the paper" on site method seldom works and is a fire hazard.

Carrying it out is the one thing that works *everywhere*. some places it's the only good option.

Other places, where it's wet enough, and isolated, it's no biggie to bury it and let nature take it's course. but this really depends.. if you have a good layer of duff and it's in there and moist, all of it will decompose quickly. it's good.

if you bury it a food deep in clay soil, forget it, archaolgists
will find it.

My usual haunts end up with either

1) facilities (backcountry outhouse ok, use 'em)

2) the option above, of a nice active soil layer to get it into
and I know I've done the right thing... or..

In the high alpine I don't do this, option 1 is to carry it out, however in my usual places, this gets beyond toilet paper... my vastly above treeline means I'm probably picking up rocks and putting them in my tent to hold them down. it's frozen most of the year. if you take a number 2, and hide it under a rock - heck, I'm sure David Thompson could have and I could still find his turds 300 years later... there I leave number 2 on a rock for the sun, critters, and water and snow to take care of (I have *never* found them in two months, never mind a year) and a burn the paper.. I've never had a problem getting that stuff to go.. no fire hazard because there's nothing up there to burn, really.

this really goes for places I know I'm probably the only person around. if it's real busy, I carry the whole thing out.

Were I in California - I'd probably be doing that.. more people in california than in all of Canada smile

Browse my pictures