You're correct--Adobe RGB (and Pro Photo RGB) are wider gamuts than sRGB that's the default setting on typical cameras. Wider gamut=more colors. My cameras allow me to set ARGB in camera, so that's what I do. In that way I'm capturing the most color I can in the original image.

Dealing with color profiles can be a giant hurdle (headache) when printing. IIUC printers have narrower gamuts than displays and which printing profile one uses can dramatically affect how an image prints. Do you let the printer control the color, the image editing software control the color, Windows control the color? Aaack!

I'm pretty excited the forthcoming Lightroom 4 has "soft proofing" that displays image edit effects on prints on side-by-side screens. This will be a Big Deal.

Want to add that Costco has in-house ink cartridge refilling. I've been meaning to try them out with my ancient HP.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Another question- if my files are in Adobe RBG does it matter that the printer defaults to RBGs? Whe I print out of Adobe, the quality is better than when I print out of WORD. I have diasbled "devise" color settings, which I assume means that the printer will understand that the files are Adobe RBG. I am quite confused on how this all works.

My camera is also a Cannon, and the files are in RBGs. When I process them in Adobe I covert them to Adobe RBG. My understanding is that Adobe RBG is accepted in a wider range of applications. Is that correct?