I friend of mine came back from a trip to Yosemite where a bear ate all his food, including his black pepper.

He said the bear popped the lid off with his teeth, spit it out, dumped the pepper in his mouth, licked and chewed a bit, then went on to the next item. Said the bear ate everything. He showed me a little metal canister he had filled with a super concentrated powdered orange drink mix that had a hole in it that the bear had punched through with a tooth. Said that stuff would make your mouth pucker like nothing he ever tasted, but the bear didn't mind it a bit.

So, while I haven't seen it myself, I have no doubt that the eyewitness account I heard is true.

For what it's worth, an old timer here says that many animals are attracted by most any unusual scent. While hunters were going to great lengths to become "Scentless", he went out and bought a bottle of the loudest cheap perfume he could find and splashed it all over himself before climbing into his tree stand, and he always got his deer.

"You want to go where?"