Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Since you are a newbie, I will assume you also need some advise on keeping backcountry hygiene environmentally sound. DO NOT ever put soap or any other chemical in a stream or lake! Rinsing off the sweat with a quick swim or splash of the face is OK. Using the stream or lake as a bathtub is NOT. Do not wash dishes in the streams or lakes. Do all washing with soap or washing of dishes away from water sources (100 feet usually a good rule of thumb) and wash in a spot where surface drainage will not wash the soap into the water sources. If you are camped where there is a fire pit then I usually dump wash water in the pit and spit toothbrushing waste into the pit. Do not leave toothpaste spit on the ground (it leaves an ugly white splotch). Dig a small hole or rub it with your foot until you no longer see it. Burry human waste and do this "business" at least 200 feet from water sources. PACK OUT or BURN ALL toilet paper. A good quality zip lock plastic bag is good for old TP. You can put a tablespoon of kitty litter in it if you worry about smells. PACK OUT all garbage - old plastic bags used in cooking, old moleskin, etc. Eat all your food. If you have to throw out any part of a meal, burry it, just like your poop. Go to the library and check out a book on "leave no trace" camping, or look this up on the internet.

Please heed this advice smile

I very seldom use any soap on the trail. I do take a little bit of campsuds. I pretty much never wash dishes with soap, If I need to I scrub out with sand/gravel away from water, then rinse out after. I may use a little bit of soap on me, sponge bath style, using my pot to wipe myself with, if I am very nasty and can't go for a swim.. most of the time I just to the latter, or even a wipe down. and that only every few days.

I do *religiously* keep my hands clean after doing my buisness. either a small bottle of purell, or baby wipes (that I pack out) or extra stove alcohol on my hands when I am carrying my alcohol stove.

You can be quite clean with just water, no need for soaps and chemicals for the most part.
Browse my pictures