I went hiking in the rain today. I thought I had good raingear but I learned otherwise... for hiking I got a pair of waterproof carhartt work boots, my feet stayed bone dry but most of the rest of me was wet! It was raining pretty hard, and I was on a trail.

1. Poncho - I had I guess what you call a standard poncho. It had buttons on the sides. Problems with it:
-Not long enough - the bottom of my jeans sticking out the poncho were soaked after 2 hours in the rain
-Side - the sides were button up. Can you get a poncho with solid or zip up sides so water cant seep in? My sides were soaked by the end of the hike
-The head - water came in through the neckline and my shirt got soaked
-Too short in general - I had my backpack on underneath the poncho. I'm also a very tall guy. Is it possible to get extra long ponchos, or ponchos made for wearing a big backpack underneath?
-When going bushwaking, should I get a ripstop poncho?

2. Pants - as mentioned before, the bottoms of my pants got soaked. Is getting waterproof pants a good idea or is there another solution?

Any other tips on hiking in heavy rain? I really enjoyed it, and would have gone much longer if I had stayed dry. Don't get me wrong, my poncho really helped but after being out 2-3 hours I was pretty soaked under that poncho. Ideally I'd like a solution to stay bone dry.

Thanks for the suggestions!