Originally Posted By aimless

Darn few of these kids will end up with a really good down sleeping bag, but I'd strongly urge the idea that, of all the places to put one's money, to reserve the lion's share of what you can afford to put toward the sleeping bag. Make a few suggestions about what a useable bag looks like when shopping for it, and provide some illustrations from real life: cite a few bags you located on the internet.

For my troop, I try my hardest to supply most of the gear. I have either bought or borrowed packs and tents. I tell the parents that they need to spend the most on the sleeping bag. I tell them to buy their clothes at the thrift store, or look in the closet, and then spend the money on a good bag. Of course, despite my pleading, only one parent has spent more than $100 on a bag (a kelty lightyear). The rest have all bought the $50 Coleman Max 0F bag at Walmart. I figure that that is good enough and tell parents that that is the minimum they should spend and the only bag they should buy at Walmart.