In the past, I've subscribed to Runner's World, Bicycling, Sailing, Skiing magazines. That was all before the internet.

I've found very little truly useful information for backpacking except on forums. (This one included.)

Magazines have to change their opinion every issue as they wouldn't get many sales by recommending the same shoes, tent, etc. in every issue. Innovation doesn't come quick enough to need an update often. (Do I really need shos with toes on them?)

Books are stuck in a time period. They are fun to read, but they miss really good innovations like U.S. cottage manufacturers.

Seldom is gear tested to extinction. Shoes might be comfortable for the first 100 miles, but how long do they last in real conditions? A particular type of stove might be great, but by the time we find out how long it lasts, they don't sell it anymore.

If I want information on good trails, I can read journals on trailjournals or postholer. Or I can simply look at a topo map in my area.

Personally, I'd rather see this forum fed to my Kindle than a magazine whose direction is guided by the advertisers who advertise in the magazine.