I didn't read that post as an attack. Quite the opposite. I took it to mean that Jim has had, and still uses, high quality gear and that by most standards it would still be called high quality. New gear doesn't necessarily mean higher quality, or better, although it's often hyped to be just that.

And it's true, the reason I haven't had, or don't have, lots of high end gear is because I couldn't afford it (and all the other stuff I wanted).

I've often opted for high quality used items over lower quality new items. It's true, they don't make some things they way they used to, and it some cases that's not always a good thing.

If I had a high end down bag that worked really good for me I'd be really hard pressed to buy into something new no matter what the hype was, and if a really good piece of gear gave up the ghost I'd be slow to replace it with something new. I'd have to see what was used out there first.

I've bought into new technologies that were touted to be leaps better. I am very slow to do that now, and I don't mind getting my moneys worth out of what I have first.

Lot's of times the benefits of new technologies are real, and statistically significant, but still not statistically worth the cost of replacing what you have. That makes it a personal decision and it can be based on nothing more than wanting the latest greatest stuff. There is nothing wrong with that.

Lot's of people want a shiny new car. I want a car that will last a long time. All my cars have been used. I have to get them somewhere, so it all works out wink

"You want to go where?"