Quote:
I think Jim is exhibit A. High quality light weight gear has been available for many years, in some cases it was cost prohibitive and in others it is due to the lack of knowledge and skill of the user... they just can't handle it as a young kid.

I knew this was going to happen. I know Jim personally and have been camping with him. His gear and his skills that you discredit came in handy when I went on my first winter camping trip with him in Yosemite in a snowstorm and I got food poisoning from something I ate on the way.

To say that you don't know what you are talking about is just me being polite. Jim doesn't need me to defend him, but since I know him personally, I am happy to do so. I have one of the stoves I have because Jim recommended it and it works great in winter conditions.

FROM A MODERATOR (ME):
NOW, AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE AND WILL SAY AGAIN-
PERSONAL ATTACKS ON OTHER MEMBERS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY HAVE NO BASIS IN FACT (OR EVEN WHEN THEY DO).

This has nothing to do with Jim; this policy is how we conduct these forums. Eveyone is free to argue about gear or the best way to do something, but making personal remarks about people you don't know will get you sent to the sin bin.