Originally Posted By PerryMK
I am not a sleeping bag guru. This is not a challenge, but a genuine question smile.

I looked up the JRB and WM offerings and it seems that for a similar temperature rating they are of similar weights. For example:

JRB High Sierra Sniveller quilt
Temperature Rating: 5°-10°
Weight: 29 ounces

WM Versalite sleeping bag
10° F
1 lb 14 oz (30oz)

I would think that the ability to close it up could make a bag it warmer than a quilt should the need arise. When the temps are mild the bag could be used like a quilt. What am I missing?

In my experience - not with the Sniveller, but with the 3 season Hudson River - if your quilt matches your body proportions you are able to tuck in down the sides and sleep warmly.

This is easier in a hammock, but I have been racking up a lot of ground nights with the quilt and done pretty well even when I roll and have to re-tuck. I never sleep well on the ground no matter how warm, and I sleep better not having the bag twisted up around me until I'm strangling. Sub freezing, I'm a quilt gal all the way. Subzero is going to be totally different.

I think what you are missing is the flat factor - the quilt truly opens flat, and can be used on a bed. Which I have done. JRB quilts don't have footboxes sewn in. Also, there is the customer loyalty factor, and... the quilt is cheaper.

http://hikeandbackpack.com