Bill,
I got a Toyota Tacoma. Warranted for 36,000 miles or 36 months; most manufacturing flaws show up in that interval. It is not a real powerhouse being a 4-cyl but I get nearly 30 mpg at 65 mph. At my age, I'm not in that much of a hurry anyway.

I probably would have kept the Ford but it had a lot of rust penetration. It lived in Utah and Colorado road salt country for seven years. And I was having trouble getting replacement parts for it. Not stuff like engine and transmission parts but replacement parts for the cruise control and the turn indicator switch. I needed a new horn button/cruise control switch panel and could never locate one. I had to twist wires together to engage the autopilot; not an easy thing to do at highway speed.

Quote:
In `78 the CA emission controls were so bad you can hardly get them started on a chilly morning in Los Angeles.

They weren't that much better outside of CA. I still remember the dual diaphragm distributor on a Bronco 302; one to advance and one to retard the spark. I was never able to get that thing working as Ford claimed it should so I converted the thing to an electronic sensor and put a single diaphragm on it. I never touched the distributor after that.