Nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

I keep seeing folk going on about old gear but let's face it when it comes to the crunch we use (if possible/affordable) the latest stuff.
That gear used to be better is a bit of a myth, otherwise the non paid adventurers/explorers would all be going around looking like Mallory or Captain R.Scott.
Sometime ago I coined this phrase
" what I miss from the good old days is gear that does not break and repair shops"
My grandfather had a carbide lamp, however even in the very early sixties that was already outdated.
Again there is a nice warm fuzzy feel to it but in reality they were nothing like what we have today.

About the "good old days " here is one of my favourite quotes :
“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
(that is from Socrates 470-300BC)

I would take the opportunity to remind everybody that "things are tough this Christmas" I know that because I have heard exactly the same thing for the last 50 years...

Franco