“I didn't know about the liquid fuel stove rule.”
I wouldn’t worry about it.

The ‘rule’ is ambiguous. It’s found at http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/680-013WB.pdf
I’ve worked with at least 6 scout troops on this. Let me pick at 3 points:
1) “Chemical Fuels not Recommended—_Unleaded gasoline;
liquid alcohol fuels, including isopropyl alcohol, denatured
ethyl alcohol, and ethanol…”
‘not Recommended’ means you can use it but you’ll be frowned upon. It’s ironic they state “Recommended Chemical Fuels—_White gas…”

2) For stoves: “Prohibited Chemical-Fueled Equipment—_Equipment
that is handcrafted, homemade, modified, or installed
beyond the manufacturer’s stated design limitations
or use. Examples include alcohol-burning “can” stoves,
smudge pots, improperly installed heaters, and propane
burners with their regulators removed.”
You can buy professional-registered-corporations-manufactured alcy stoves that still weigh 0.2 to 0.8oz and thus meet this requirement.

3) They also give a catch all clause: “Before any chemical fuels or chemical-fueled equipment
is used, an adult knowledgeable about chemical
fuels and equipment, including regulatory requirements
should resolve any hazards not specifically addressed
within this policy.”
So have an adult there- teaching.

But think about it; Would you rather give a scout a Whisper-Loud stove or an alcy stove? I’ve had a heart attack so many times with gas stove flare-ups -- even when you THINK you have it under control.

Some will argue that if you want to be covered by scout insurance, you must not use any alcy stove. I don’t think it can be interpreted like that because of ambiguity. I know 2 lawyers ready to take BSA on if they use alcohol stoves as an insurance denial excuse.

But in all fairness, the 6 troops I’ve worked with were also sponsored by churches that also carry separate insurance. Plus when the boys go out, the parents are asked if they are willing to use their personal insurance via several paperwork forms that must be issued to keep the insurance lawyers happy. That provides a warm fuzzy for those boys taking their own stoves that were made under professional adult supervision. Plus I feel safer hauling alcy rather than white gas.

Now that I’m off my soap box, back to the regular scheduled program:
Ideas for UL show:
1. Bring your pack in--- all packed.
2. Pull out the small packaged tent. To save time, have a 2nd one set up outside for show n tell.
3. It blows people’s mind when you pull the down quilt out of a dinky bag.
4. For scouts, I encourage CCF mats. They’re cheap, light, and they can’t destroy them.
5. Show water ideas: Ultraviolet, Chlorine Dioxide pills, filters. For one demo, I took on several filters. We brought in brown water. There’s only one backpacking filter that can truly clear up the brown water: The First Need. To bad it’s not UL.
6. first aid (<3oz)
7. The alcy stove gets everyone excited. That is a GOOD scouting activity. See my soap box above.
8. Footwear--- This is only me. But when I do my demos, I point out the sandal I’m wearing is also the sandal I backpack in. Then I lay down the 20 benefits of sandals vs. Shoes/boots. It must work, because I have a lot of converts.

Have fun with it.
-Barry