Originally Posted By Paddy_Crow
I've come to the conclusion that people who don't want dogs on the trail just plain don't want dogs around anywhere. No matter how many well behaved dogs cross their path, they will continue to dwell on those few that have made a bad impression.

Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of people I meet on the trail are not like that. They seem to enjoy meeting my dog as much as my dog enjoys meeting them.

Patently untrue of me. I love all animals.

However, many people who have tried to bring their dogs hiking when our group goes on trails that allow dogs have proved that many dogs are not suitable hiking companions. One bit someone (a ranger, no less) and another got in a fight with a really good hiking dog and caused damage. Other dogs have not been with our party, but have barreled along the trail at a high rate at us, frightening people with their behavior.

What many dog owners fail to recognize is that there is a way to train your dog to the task at hand, and they are not doing it, which leads to the sad consequence of me encouraging people not to bring their dogs at all, for their safety more than anything else. If I can tell they have not thought much past "it would be fun to take Fifi!" to what they will do if Fifi's paws start to bleed after a mile across granite, I discourage it.

There are dogs I would go backpacking with in a heartbeat - they are well behaved, come reliably when called, even will not drink from streams until told they can - contrast with a friend's dog that suffered horrible giardia after a low elevation hike.

When I tell people not to bring a dog, it's because I'm more concerned for the dog.

http://hikeandbackpack.com