You're right - I forgot to include that in my previous post. Granite Gear is a good example of a company that kept fairly beefy suspensions on its packs, and lowered the weight of the pack by eliminating zippers, lids, outside pockets, and inside dividers. They will carry 30+ pound loads pretty well; I used a Vapor Trail for several years happily; the fixed suspension eventually quit fitting right (I suspect the culprit may be me: I seem to have shrunk about half an inch or an inch over the last 15 years - didn't think that would start happening until I got old. smile )

Now I've shifted to the Osprey Atmos/Kestrel series, which weigh about three and a half pounds, have a decent suspension for 25 - 30 pound loads, and have a reasonable feature set. They're lighter than the 5 pound packs, but not as light as the Exos/Talon series that Osprey makes. Those packs are ultralight and have nice feature sets - but wimpy suspensions. I tried both and gave up on them because I couldn't get my load below 20 pounds consistently.

Like everything else, packs are a series of compromises.