Originally Posted By OldScout
When I first saw the video, I thought "Holy ****" Look how close the fire is to the tent. Man. He's gonna burn down fer' sure."

Your concerns are valid, but not based, I am guessing, so much on experience as what you've heard, seen, or thought.

What I mean is, you've never tested how close you can get a tent to a fire before it melts or burns up, and you've never had one melt or burn up because you got it too close.

I haven't either. I have worked with fire and extreme heat a lot, so that experience is an advantage I suppose. You tend to learn what is a potential hazard and how to deal with it. For example, I've used visqueen as a spark shield when welding and cutting steel. It actually works really good for that. And I have lived a lot of years where campfires are a part of life. I've melted a few soles getting my feet too close to them. blush

Personally, as far as fires and backpacking go, I'm more interested in how small a fire I can use, and how long I can make it last without fiddling with it. I haven't tested that yet with that shelter. I did build a long fire, like that suggested in the link to the video skcreidc posted, and it wasn't a very big one, but I still don't know how small of one I can use.

I think that if you did take the time to play with this concept, and as you've said, "don't build your fire so close to your tent", and make it a small fire, you'd be more comfortable with the concept. Maybe not comfortable enough to fall asleep in it, but more than at first glance at least. wink

"You want to go where?"