Originally Posted By oldranger
The term "Super Shelter," as used in the OP video, seems like wildly exaggerated hype for what is actually a very traditional, time tested design of undoubted effectiveness.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think they coined the term though. I'm not sure where it came from, perhaps the TV show referenced earlier?

The tarp set up is not the "super" part though, it's the way it retains heat. Mylar is not new, but as I've said, I hadn't heard of this use of it until recently. While the shelter design itself would trap heat, the mylar certainly makes a difference in how warm it is inside. Last winter I did quite a bit of experimenting with it. While sitting in front of a fire, as soon as you place it behind you you can feel the warmth radiating back at you and as soon as you remove it you can feel the cold. There's no denying it's effective.

I've been pondering different set ups to apply the same concept. It should be noted that you can retain body heat in a shelter lined with this too. In that video, I think he mentions that a candle raised the inside temp 5ºF. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Some alternative designs I think might be interesting to try are a bivy sized shelter shaped the same way, just a lower opening in front, and a dome or tube shaped shelter lined on the back of the inside with mylar. And I think it may be worth looking at how one might suspend the reflective material from a standard tarp, so it could be used, or not, depending on conditions.

For me, here, backpacking is a cool to cold weather thing. The nights are 14 hours long now, and it's coldest just at sun up, and it's doesn't warm up fast or very much either. After a day of bushwhacking I think it'd be pretty nice to be able to get truly warmed up before bedding down for the night, and to sit and read a bit in the evening. And in the morning, to be able to toss a few sticks on some coals and get back in my bag and wait for it to warm up inside that shelter would be pretty highfaluting times out there. Shoot, it'd be darn near "Super Duper" laugh

"You want to go where?"